Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Can I refill my battery

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Squid

Christian_man30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I refill my battery

My battery went bad. Is there a way that I can get the same acid to refill it or use water?

Or do I need to get a new battery???
Old 06-03-2010, 06:05 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
The battery that comes for the SH is not intended to be a serviceable battery. You are definately better of replacing. Do a search on A123 batteries on this forum. alot of talk of alternative battery options
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Since you are asking a completely different question, I'm more than willing to keep this discussion separate from the other... If you feel otherwise let me know and I'll delete this post...

It would probably help to know what battery you have? If it's the stock Yuasa it's as SPRHK said not servicable and it has a lifetime of roughly 4-5 years or so... Replace it with a good quality sealed battery, since an open cell/ventilated battery is not a great idea on a bike... It can leak in a tip-over and it can leak and damage other parts in normal useage conditions...

There are people replacing their battery with 14 series batteries instead of the stock 12... That gives a bit better starting capacity when cold... Then there are people using A123 cells... Some have bought manufactured ones in a nice box (turntech)...

I have replaced my battery with a DIY option A123 pack... Cells are available on eBay and other places... So far that works great for me...

BTW just to let you know... A bad R/R will kill a battery, and vice versa... A new battery now without replacing or really checking that the R/R is fine will be costly as you will end up replacing it again most likely... (going by your other posts about R/R's I'd say it's a problem on your bike)

Last edited by Tweety; 06-03-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Not really you got a everstart right? does it have those red cap on there? If it does just got pick up some battery acid at a yard store or farm supply. Everstart is serviceable. You didn't get the tiny little battery did you? those wont work on the SH
Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by doomcookie
Not really you got a everstart right? does it have those red cap on there? If it does just got pick up some battery acid at a yard store or farm supply. Everstart is serviceable. You didn't get the tiny little battery did you? those wont work on the SH
Refilling a used battery with acid is not recommended. Once a battery is used, if refilling is required, distrilled water is the preferred fluid.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I would not go to the dealer for a battery as the last time I went they wanted $180 .
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Local NAPA had AGM battery for around $65.00.

Rex
Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SPRHK
Refilling a used battery with acid is not recommended. Once a battery is used, if refilling is required, distrilled water is the preferred fluid.
As I underdstand it, it is the water that evaporates out, not the acid. That is why you should top off with distilled water, and not add acid. If the batter is bone dry, you have other issues.

Can anyone confirm this? thank you. JB
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Squid

Christian_man30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome...sounds great!!!
I look into using the distilled water first & see if anything happens. If not...ill have to go ahead and purchase one out right. One shop locally says that they have a GEL Battery that cost $86.00. Cycle Gear here in town says they have one for $89.00 with lifetime replacement.

Any info as to which should be bought???
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
I've used these battery repair directions with some success. It fixed some old car batteries i had, some it didn't fix. Might be worth a try.

"To recondition your lead acid battery you will need Epsom Salt and a quart of distilled water. Warm up the water to about 150 degrees (very hot but not boiling). The temperature doesn't need to be exact by any means and will still work even if the water is at room temperature, it just won't work as well. Mix 10 heaping table spoons full of Epsom Salt into the water and stir until most or all is dissolved. Then simply pour this warm solution into your battery where you would normally put water to maintain the acid levels. Do not attempt to put Epsom Salt directly into your battery because it will not dissolve into the battery acid, only water will dissolve Epsom Salt. Most batteries will be low on fluid so adding this solution will not overflow the battery. It is only recommended to add 1/2 quart of solution to an average size battery. If your battery is full of fluid already then you will need to drain some of the solution to allow for the 1/2 quart of Epsom Salt Solution. After adding the solution it is recommended to put the caps back on and shake the battery a bit to mix all the chemicals."

Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
As I underdstand it, it is the water that evaporates out, not the acid. That is why you should top off with distilled water, and not add acid. If the batter is bone dry, you have other issues.

Can anyone confirm this? thank you. JB
Absolutely. Once filled with acid, you NEVER add acid, only water.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superdutyd
I've used these battery repair directions with some success. It fixed some old car batteries i had, some it didn't fix. Might be worth a try.

"To recondition your lead acid battery you will need Epsom Salt and a quart of distilled water. Warm up the water to about 150 degrees (very hot but not boiling). The temperature doesn't need to be exact by any means and will still work even if the water is at room temperature, it just won't work as well. Mix 10 heaping table spoons full of Epsom Salt into the water and stir until most or all is dissolved. Then simply pour this warm solution into your battery where you would normally put water to maintain the acid levels. Do not attempt to put Epsom Salt directly into your battery because it will not dissolve into the battery acid, only water will dissolve Epsom Salt. Most batteries will be low on fluid so adding this solution will not overflow the battery. It is only recommended to add 1/2 quart of solution to an average size battery. If your battery is full of fluid already then you will need to drain some of the solution to allow for the 1/2 quart of Epsom Salt Solution. After adding the solution it is recommended to put the caps back on and shake the battery a bit to mix all the chemicals."

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 06-03-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Add more smilies.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
What exactly is so funny? This is a pretty well known trick small car lots have been using for years to save money on batteries. Go ahead and laugh though if it makes you feel better about yourself.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Christian_man30
Awesome...sounds great!!!
I look into using the distilled water first & see if anything happens. If not...ill have to go ahead and purchase one out right. One shop locally says that they have a GEL Battery that cost $86.00. Cycle Gear here in town says they have one for $89.00 with lifetime replacement.

Any info as to which should be bought???

WTF??, do not fill a sealed battery with water! Serviceable batteries are clear and have high and low marks and you can see how much distilled water you are adding, your sealed battery does not. The serviceable battery also has a vent, so in case you, lets say, over fill it, it can relieve the pressure... your sealed battery does not have a vent. So, when you over fill it and it gets hot what will your sealed battery do with the excess pressure?

If i missed the part where you said you had a serviceable battery, then please disregard this post.