Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Cbr600f4i calipers and m/c install - in progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Cbr600f4i calipers and m/c install - in progress

Just picked up an f4i complete front brake set up for 76 shipped. I will be detailing a walk through on the modification once I get the items. I think I will clean them out and possibly paint them after grinding down the required notch. Any feedback from those who have done the mod would be awesome.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i did notch my f4i calipers but i also looked at the tabs on the forks and cleaned them up a bit. i didn't take much off the tabs sort of trued them up... molds aren't perfect.

mounted them up 20 or so times to make sure i removed the minimum amount of material. take your time.

tim
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by trinc
i did notch my f4i calipers but i also looked at the tabs on the forks and cleaned them up a bit. i didn't take much off the tabs sort of trued them up... molds aren't perfect.

mounted them up 20 or so times to make sure i removed the minimum amount of material. take your time.

tim
What tool did you use for the grind, dremel? Did you paint them, if so with what. And most importantly what kind of difference did it make.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by yruyur
What tool did you use for the grind, dreme Did you paint them, if so with what. And most importantly what kind of difference did it make.
dremel. it's aluminum so it will clog up the grinder bit. i think i had 3-4 bits & cleaned them up every few minutes...

i didn't find any pads that worked well in the stock calipers ( i ride A group trackdays ). i wanted to try Vesrah RJL pads since everybody ravs about them. so i switched calipers just to run those pads. i have a 5/8" MC from the 900rr and braided lines. i can only say i'm really happy with my setup, very good bite & ZERO brake fade at track speeds !

a true test to how well the mod works ( just the calipers ) would be to run the same pads... i didn't do that.

tim
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Grind them and bolt 'em on. I used a drill with a few bits. Took a while to do that but the rest was simply removing the stockers and bolting on the F4i setup. Bleed them well.

I don't really notice a difference, but I didn't ride it back to back. I mean they feel good and according to the specs should be better so I guess they are stronger.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I did the same swap a while ago... great upgrade. At first I only had the F4i calipers with the stock VTR M/C... not very impressive. They really woke up when I switched to the F4i M/C. I used a Dremel to take away the excess metal. It took a while as I kept mounting them to see exactly how much need to be removed. I also recommend replacing the seals while you have them apart... and give them a good cleaning. I'm not sure what paint they use on them at the factory, but rattle definitely will not cut it. the first time you hit them with brake cleaner it's gonna f'up your paint. after you are done bleeding them I recommend pulling the brake lever halfway in and using a zip-tie to hold in place overnight. angle the master cylinder so that the reservoir is at the highest point, then let it sit overnight like that.

Last edited by inderocker; 04-02-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:03 PM
SuperSport

Thanks for everyones input. I was looking into doing the seals, looks like around 4 seals all together about 8 bucks a piece I think. Any idea on pads, I have heard of the top end being the Vesrah then the mid range to be the EBC, while I just found some no namers on ebay for about 10 bucks. As usual here goes spending more money. ill also be selling the perfectly working stockers. There is a guys on craigslist Phoenix that is selling a complete RC51 front brake setup, no price he says he just wants to get rid of the stuff.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
SuperBike

Thanks for everyones input. I was looking into doing the seals, looks like around 4 seals all together about 8 bucks a piece I think. Any idea on pads, I have heard of the top end being the Vesrah then the mid range to be the EBC, while I just found some no namers on ebay for about 10 bucks. As usual here goes spending more money. ill also be selling the perfectly working stockers. There is a guys on craigslist Phoenix that is selling a complete RC51 front brake setup, no price he says he just wants to get rid of the stuff.
imo... pads:

SBS, hated them.

EBC HH, great initial bite ( maybe a little too much ) but fade when hot. if your not riding the track or quick pace street riding they are fine.

Vesrah RJL, i absolutely love them.

seals. i was in the same boat and went to the local performance shop, i know the owner, and asked about buying them. he told me he RARELY sees any leaks. i reused them, cleaned the calipers & soked the seals in brake fluid & reinstalled. no problems.

tim
Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by trinc
imo... pads:

SBS, hated them.

EBC HH, great initial bite ( maybe a little too much ) but fade when hot. if your not riding the track or quick pace street riding they are fine.

Vesrah RJL, i absolutely love them.

seals. i was in the same boat and went to the local performance shop, i know the owner, and asked about buying them. he told me he RARELY sees any leaks. i reused them, cleaned the calipers & soked the seals in brake fluid & reinstalled. no problems.

tim
Cool, Im glad I can just pull them apart, clean and re-use the seals. EBC sound great then since my riding is very tame and nowhere near the track.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have done the same swap as you are doing. Very nice result, so you should be happy with the difference. I have braided lines as well.

Tungsten carbide grinding tips are the best to use. I use brake caliper paint which you can get in a spray can. Pretty good stuff.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:42 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Put some EBC HH pads in mine yesterday and tested them out today and the brakes feel amazing. I was going into turns with the rear tire practically off the ground. Definitely don't need my rear brake anymore, the front will suffice.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
SuperSport

Can you guys post close up pics of your calipers mounted. That way I can see the way you ground them as well as see how the painted ones look. Also do I use the caliper bolts from the F4I set or the stock ones.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
caliper picture

not sure if this helps, but these are RC 51 calipers on the Hawk.

I used a dremel with a couple of grinding bits. It is a slow process as the bits get junked up.

I then used gold paint. ( in the picture it shows where I repainted, but on the bike you cant tell there is two slightly different color golds on the calipers.)

I mounted them probably 20 times for the first one, then used a template for the second which took five minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Cbr600f4i calipers and m/c install - in progress-dscn0417.jpg  
Old 04-05-2009, 08:52 AM
SuperBike

Can you guys post close up pics of your calipers mounted. That way I can see the way you ground them as well as see how the painted ones look. Also do I use the caliper bolts from the F4I set or the stock ones.
i used the superhawk mounting bolts. i didn't paint mine obviously.

tim
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
The VTR bolts will mount the calipers fine.

I don't have a better pic than what is already posted here. As for the paint quality, mine looks just as good as new factory paint. It is proper brake caliper paint and is pretty good stuff, but as mentioned already, the factory paint is hard to beat. You could no doubt match it if you stripped the calipers and gave them a baked finish before re-assembly.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
SuperSport

Awesome. I could not tell from the pics of the auction if the black was still in good condition or needed to be painted. Of course the guy is the worst ebayer ever, I paid within a few seconds of auction end and will not respond to emails and I have no clue if the things shipped yet.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:59 AM
SuperSport

Done. I guess I got a little excited and did not take many pics. Everything is done. Got the calipers and EBC Double H pads in. Grinded down the caliper which was very easy, I took a little off the forks and the rest off the calipers. Calipers were in good shape so no painting needed. I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone out there running stock. Brakes kick in much sooner and are rock solid from there, plus the look of the integrated fluid resovoir is a plus. Thanks for the help from everyone. Ill post some of the pics in the next couple days.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well after trying yruyur's brakes, I had to do this myself (even over the 954 brake setup) so I got in my parts..

Brakes everywhere!:
Name:  DSCN2813.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  177.0 KB

Compared to the ST1100 Clutch MC I also got:

Name:  DSCN2814.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  201.9 KB

Ye new brakepads:

Name:  DSCN2815.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  125.6 KB

Going to finish this tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 AM
SpellCheck
Squid

SpellCheck is on a distinguished road
Decent price on calipers

If anyone is looking for 929/954 calipers here's a reasonable price, especially if you're in the NY area:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1184764342.html

And EBC pads for them:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1184763894.html

It's not me selling them; just passing it along. I've already done the front 929 caliper/master cylinder swap on my Superhawk, and it made a big difference.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:41 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Has anyone tried replacing the MC/lever only? It sounds like that aspect has a bigger impact than the calipers themselves.

Also, is it possible to file away the interfering metal on the calipers? (I rarely need a dremmel and don't want to spend the $$ Yeah, I'm cheap.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:25 AM
SpellCheck
Squid

SpellCheck is on a distinguished road
I suppose it would be possible but you need to get into something of a pocket. I think you'd be better off with a small sanding drum in an electric drill (you can get them at Home Depot). It'll take longer, but would certainly leave a nicer finish.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Has anyone tried replacing the MC/lever only? It sounds like that aspect has a bigger impact than the calipers themselves.

Also, is it possible to file away the interfering metal on the calipers? (I rarely need a dremmel and don't want to spend the $$ Yeah, I'm cheap.
i put the 5/8" 900rr m/c on a ran that for a couple of months. it is better than stock... shorter lever pull & i could feel the pad better ( modulate the brakes ). as previously stated i changed the caliper (f4i) to run a better brake pad.

tim
Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip

I don't think it would be nearly as good as the whole thing and you get mostly a cosmetic upgrade..

From this thread: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13176

Originally Posted by killer5280
I don't know about GSX-Rs except for the 2000-2001 GSX-R 1000. Those are a direct bolt-on.

The F4, F4i, 600RR, RC51, 929RR, 954RR calipers are all externally identical, and they need slight grinding to clear the mounting bracket on the VTR fork leg. Other than that, they bolt on and work quite well. The caliper piston and master cylinder sizes vary from model to model and year to year. Here is a little chart I put together awhile back with all the data. I also believe the 919 calipers and maybe some others will fit, but I haven't really looked into it.

2003-2004 CBR600RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)
caliper pistons 32mm/30mm

2000-2001 CBR929RR mc 19mm
caliper pistons 34mm/30mm

2002-2003 CBR954RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)

2000-2001 RC51 mc 19mm
caliper pistons 34mm/32mm

2002-present RC51 mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)

1999-Present CBR600F4(i) mc 5/8” (15.87mm)
caliper pistons 34mm/32mm
Stock VTR Master Cylinder 14mm
caliper pistons 30mm/27mm

So the stock caliper pistons are quite a bit smaller than any other one out there..

Besides a complete F4i setup off ebay can be gotten quite cheap if you have patience.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I had a friend who typucally replaced the MC on his bikes, Gixxers, with a Brembo MC. He swore by the Brembo upgrade. The price is a big detraction, though.

I can't help but wonder what it is that led Honda to use different calipers from the F4 series in the first place - what were they thinking?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I'll second the Brembo being a nice upgrade. I haven't used more than 2 fingers to stop since I made the change. I have it squeezing the CBR1000 radial calipers.