Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck

So my buddy on a ZX6 dropped his bike going about 10 miles and hour a did a crap load of damage to his bike. This of course a week after talking about getting sliders. Immediately after that Lazn and I picked up some frame sliders from ebay for about 60 bucks shipped. Just installed them and thought I would post a bunch of pics so people can see the install from different angles in case you are thinking of doing the same thing. I still cant get used to them as I think they take away from the lines of the bike by having these huge things sticking out of the side of the bike but i figured its an insurance policy. We actually "gently" placed Lazn's hawk on its side so that we could see if they would make a difference. We were both surprised to see that they did. Assuming that it is just a tip over the bike literally touched only the tire, slider and part of his mid pipe(he has hight mount migs) At one point we were rocking the bike back on forth just on the slider, the bar ends would touch but we could turn the bars and left only the sliders and pipes touching. Ill be uploading the pics we took from under the bike while it was on its side as soon as I get them off that camera.
Attached Thumbnails Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-n38.jpg   Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-image18.jpg   Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-image09.jpg   Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-image01.jpg   Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-image07.jpg  

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
thank you for the pics, this I was wondering about the looks as I will be getting some soon!

also...what do you think about those mirror extenders? should I go with those or some r6 mirrors?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
thank you for the pics, this I was wondering about the looks as I will be getting some soon!

also...what do you think about those mirror extenders? should I go with those or some r6 mirrors?
If you get a good price on the R6 I would go with those, The extenders came on the bike when I bought it and seem to go for about 30 bucks on Ebay. Does make a little difference from stock, as opposed to my elbow taking up the entire mirror it only takes up half now. I still pull my elbows in to see behind me. Not sure if the R6 would be better but I cant see them being worse.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
i have the trex no cut sliders too...took forever to get used to looking at them, not to mention getting used to not knocking my knees on them. maybe its bc my hawk is black, but ive gotten pretty used to it. i think frame sliders on pretty much any bike are pretty damn obtrusive, but these in particular are because theyre so long from their mounting position.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
ill be purchasing those soon as well. ive been meaning to do it for a while now, i just havent gotten around to it yet. i wanted to fix the bike first. it will be nice to see the pictures of the bike on its side.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
My TRex sliders saved my fairings in a crash. But as the other rider flew over me his elbow took out a chunk above the mirror so I still had to get a new fairing. The high mount pipe has a flat spot in it now but works. The slider mounting plate got bent but held. Frame sliders look better than rash. They also saved it when my bike fell over in the garage while changing my front tire. No damage.

AND T-Rex sent me a new plate for a very reasonable price.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Funny thing is: I just ordered those frame sliders yesterday! I don't think they look bad, I just feel they are a cheap insurance policy!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Got 'em on mine too. They seemed to be in the way until I learned to use as another input for cornering! I am thinking about putting some grip tape on them to get a better planted on them as they are a bit slippery.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i don't know... i like the LSL's better.

tim
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
When I tested gravity I twisted the frame slider bracket almost to a 45° angle. The frame never hit the ground but the bracket actually dug into the cast lug on the frame (good thing the bracket was on when the insurance was evaluating it).
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
I don't care for the fact that they're hella huge. But I guess large frame sliders are better than rashed fairings.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
yruyur--- what kind of signals are those??
Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I put mine on, and a week later laid it down. 33 degrees out, pulled off my road, tired slid right out. Frame slider saved the fairings. Couldn't save the clutch lever though.

The bracket bent, but we straightened it out. I don't mind the look.

As for hitting my knees, put a rag on the slider, tap it forward with a hammer.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
SuperSport

Here are the pics of the sliders installed on Lazn's bike laying it down to test them out.
Attached Thumbnails Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-image004.jpg   Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-image007.jpg   Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-image005.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
you have a ghost in your garage
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vermontzx6r
yruyur--- what kind of signals are those??
Front are Lockhart Phillips Flushmount 3 smoked

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...A17A15A9C24724

Rear is the integrated smoked LED
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Street Fighter
Squid

Denverhawk is on a distinguished road
I have the no-cut sliders right now but (personally) didn't care for their performance. I high sided in a parking lot (>10mph) on cold tires two summers ago and the bracket broke and the puck broke too! To be fair, I don't remember the manufacturer and they may have been from a less reputable maker. I've since converted to 'naked', are there any suggestions on 'cut-style' sliders? I would like the protection they offer but with the bike sans fairing I hope to avoid the off-set bracket(a clearly weak point), and have a slightly trimmer profile as well.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Trouble Makers Union 510
Squid

Roundboy is on a distinguished road
Got the T-Rex as well....bike dropped when it stalled on take-off one day...(yes i know i'm an idiot it happens to the best of us) I had to lay the bike down slowly...somehow i still bent my brake lever but very happy that nothing else was damaged.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like drum cases in the background... who's are they?
Attached Thumbnails Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck-2746704709_83c5aec4d8.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
well by the looks of the pics, how can anything shorter than the t-rex sliders work?!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by inderocker
Looks like drum cases in the background... who's are they?
Sorry no drum cases in my garage. The white glowy thing is the logo on the trash can.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lazn
Sorry no drum cases in my garage. The white glowy thing is the logo on the trash can.

Ahh... easily visible now.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Squid

jim2000VTR is on a distinguished road
I appreciate all these pictures and critiques. Speaking as a someone who lost it on a 28F day (and very cold tires) and messed up the left fairing, peg, lever, etc (and me, but I heal), the T-Rex or similar seem to be cheap insurance. Beats the fiberglass work I am now doing on the Hawks fairing, not to mention lost riding time.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I wonder how the slider mounts will hold up under the forces of hitting and sliding on the ground? Also, I've read arguments against using them (not specific to Superhawks) because a good hit on them can crack the frame. What's your impression of this considering you can see where they are mounted?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:09 AM
SuperSport

Well Lazn got his money out of his sliders tonight when taking comparison pics of the HID retrofit that we did on my bike. We needed to move his bike over a few feet and he thought he had the kick stand down. When I looked over he was half way to the ground. He was able to get his leg out from under the bike and bamm the bike made a huge thud on the ground. After getting the bike back up, to our shock the only damage that was done was a tiny little scratch on the edge of the mirror. No scratches or cracks on anything else. Wow I am glad I have put them on my bake after seeing them save a bike.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:22 AM
MotoGP

Yup, they may not be pretty, but the work great and are extra leg rests too!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Got 'em on mine too. They seemed to be in the way until I learned to use as another input for cornering! I am thinking about putting some grip tape on them to get a better planted on them as they are a bit slippery.

they were hitting my knee too so I took them off and ground them down with a bench grinder so they could be moved about 45 degrees forward where they rest on the top edge of the fairing. If you want to use them as a hold point while carving corner you can, or if you want to drag your knee they're not in the way.

thanks nathan

Last edited by nath981; 03-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Yes, these sliders are great. Recently my front brakes locked up, tucked the wheel and spit me off the bike and it slid down the road at 45 mph and the damage was limited to a bent brake lever, scuffed mid-pipe , bent slider bracket and scratched clutch case. I now have a nicely scuffed belt buckle and beat up Carhartts from sliding down the road, feet first, on my stomach.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I'm 5'9" but have long legs and a short torso.. My knees come close but never hit them in any normal seating position, whether hanging off or not.

I saw another member's Hawk after he went down with these and the bracket bent back and gouged the frame. I don't recall the circumstances of his crash or how fast he was going.

I have them on mine, but thankfully haven't tested them. I think this is a case where protection and looks are mutually exclusive.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MisterMohawk
Yes, these sliders are great. Recently my front brakes locked up, tucked the wheel and spit me off the bike and it slid down the road at 45 mph and the damage was limited to a bent brake lever, scuffed mid-pipe , bent slider bracket and scratched clutch case. I now have a nicely scuffed belt buckle and beat up Carhartts from sliding down the road, feet first, on my stomach.
How did your brakes lock up?
The guy who bought my chopper told me about a month after he got it the rear brake locked up on him and he lost at about 25mph. Not sure how that happened.

These sliders actually do well in a slide. Not sure how far mine was but I was probably going at least 20mph when another rider T boned me which surely increased my velocity. The bracket bent slightly but saved the bike from serious damage.

Someone should retrofit the sliders with LED's in them on a SH. It would probably look like wing tip lights on a plane. Hmmm...one green, one red, some strobe effect...

Quick Reply: Pics - TRex frame sliders mounted - yuck